Old Crow Inn / John Crow
Old Crow Inn
The oldest existing stone house in Kentucky, built 1784, is part of this building. The house has been enlarged and Doric pillars added. Land purchased from John Crow by James Wright, 1781. Next owner, Colonel Joshua Barbee, who built original house. In 180 years only three families have been owners. Adams family since 1899.
Came to Harrodsburg in 1774 with James Harrod and his group of 32. Settled near here in 1776. Founded Crow's Station, 1782, which became the political and cultural capital for District of Kentucky when Supreme Court met there, 1783-85. John Crow sold to Walker Daniel, 1784, land on which he established Danville in 1788.
Presented by Joshua B. Adams
Erected 1970 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1376.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 38.459′ N, 84° 45.765′ W. Marker is in Danville, Kentucky, in Boyle County. Marker is on Stanford Avenue (Kentucky Route 150), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 471 Stanford Avenue, Danville KY 40422, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . Historic Danville KY. (Submitted on July 12, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 12, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.