Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Schwäbisch Gmünd in Ostalbkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
 

Glockenturm / Belltower

 
 
Glockenturm / Belltower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 24, 2017
1. Glockenturm / Belltower Marker
Inscription. Die Erbauungszeit des erst 1578/79 urkundlich als „Glockhauß" erwähnten Gebäudes fällt wohl in die Jahre 1227/28. Zwei Deckenbalken im Erdgeschoss datieren schon auf 1143 bzw. 1154. Der 35,5 Meter hohe Turm mit seinem Pyramidendach ist voll-ständig unterkellert und diente zunächst als romanischer Wohn-turm eines begüterten Gmünder Bürgers in der Stauferzeit, nicht als Wehrturm. Nach dem Einsturz der beiden Türme am heutigen Heiligkreuz-Münster in der Karfreitagsnacht des 25. März 1497 wurde das Gebäude in den Jahren 1502 bis 1505 zum eigentlichen Glockenturm ausgebaut. Alle vier Glocken -Liebfrauenglocke, ältere und jüngere Evangelistenglocke sowie Marien- glocke- stammen noch aus den eingestürzten Münstertürmen.


[English translation:]
With the first documented mention as the "Bellhouse" in 1578-79, the construction of this building probably dates back to 1227-28, although two ceiling beams on the ground floor date from 1143 and 1154. The 35.5-meter-high tower with its pyramid roof has a full-fledged basement, and served as a Romanesque residential tower of a wealthy Gmünder citizen in the Staufer era, not as a defensive tower. After the collapse of the two towers at today's Heiligkreuz-Münster (literally Holy Cross Cathedral, which is just across the plaza) on the night of March 25,
Glockenturm / Belltower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 24, 2017
2. Glockenturm / Belltower Marker
Difficult to see because it blends in, the marker is just to the left of the entrance to the tower.
1497 (Holy Friday), the building was converted into a bell tower between 1502 and 1505. The four bells, the "Our Lady's" bell, the older and the younger Evangelist bells, as well as the bell of the Virgin Mary, came from the collapsed cathedral towers.
 
Erected by Burgerstiftung Schwäbisch Gmünd.
 
Location. 48° 47.954′ N, 9° 47.804′ E. Marker is in Schwäbisch Gmünd, Baden-Württemberg, in Ostalbkreis. Marker is at the intersection of Glockgäßle 2 and Muensterplatz on Glockgäßle 2. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Glockgäßle, Schwäbisch Gmünd, Baden-Württemberg 73525, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marktplatz Nr. 16 (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Katharina Czisch (about 150 meters away); Schwäbisch Gmünd War Memorial (about 210 meters away); Fünfknopfturm / Five-points Tower (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Garten der Partnerstadt Bethlehem (USA) / Garden of the Sister City of Bethlehem (USA) (approx. 0.4 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .  Glockenturm (Schwäbisch Gmünd) (Wikipedia, in German). (Submitted on July 13, 2017.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement