Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edom in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Asbury Cemetery

 
 
Asbury Cemetery Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, June 26, 2017
1. Asbury Cemetery Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. The first recorded burial on this site was that of Asbury Lowery (1836-1855). The new burial ground was named in his memory. In 1863, Prairie Flower (1858-1863), the young daughter of celebrated Comanche Indian captive Cynthia Ann Parker and Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, was interred here when she died while living with relatives of her mother. In 1965 her remains were removed to the post cemetery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, to be re-interred near the graves of her mother and brother, Chief Quanah Parker, during ceremonies attended by both Comanche and Anglo descendants.

A Texas Ranger named Adren Anglin (1796-1865) also was buried here in the early years of the graveyard. H.W. and H.L. Walker donated two acres including the existing Asbury Chapel and Cemetery to trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1879.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, family members and descendants of the deceased observed a cemetery memorial day by coming together to clean the grounds and share food and fellowship. Eventually, Asbury Chapel merged with the Edom Methodist Church. The first cemetery board of directors was organized in 1945 while John W. Miller (1884-1975) was caretaker.

Maintained by an association, the cemetery contains almost 400 recorded and marked burials and approximately 30 unmarked graves.
Asbury Cemetery with marker and Adren Anglin Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, June 26, 2017
2. Asbury Cemetery with marker and Adren Anglin Marker
Adren Anglin marker is to the right of the Asbury Cemetery subject marker.
Among the unmarked graves is believed to be that of pioneer Van Zandt County settler Esable Lindsey and six of her children. The Asbury Cemetery continues to be a chronicle of the pioneers of Van Zandt County.

(Incise on base)
Researcher: Iona Pinckard Miller
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12259.)
 
Location. 32° 21.312′ N, 95° 40.828′ W. Marker is near Edom, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2339 half a mile west of Farm to Market Road 4712, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Murchison TX 75778, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adren Anglin (here, next to this marker); Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin (approx. 4.5 miles away); Tidmore Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Site Of Old Normandy (approx. 5.4 miles away); Brownsboro Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Ben Wheeler Community (approx. 6.4 miles away); Alamo Institute (approx. 6.4 miles away); Morgan G. Sanders (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edom.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement