Pembroke in Renfrew County, Ontario — Central Canada
Jeanne Lajoie, a dedicated teacher and advocate for the establishment of French schools in Ontario, was born in Lefaivre, near Hawkesbury, in 1899. In 1923, Lajoie helped a group of Francophone parents to establish the first independent French school in Pembroke. The school ensured that their children were educated in their own language. The creation of L'École Sainte-Jeanne d'Arc was one of the last major events in the Franco-Ontarian struggle against Regulation 17, which from 1912 to 1927 prohibited instruction in French after Grade 2. Lajoie taught at the school, initially located in the Dominion Street home of Moïse Lafrance and then in a Mary Street house purchased by the parents. Suffering from fragile health her entire life, Jeanne Lajoie died of tuberculosis at the age of 31. She was immortalized as the "Pucelle de Pembroke," the "Maid of Pembroke," in reference to Joan of Arc, for her commitment to providing education in French and preserving Francophone culture within Ontario.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Trust.
Location. 45° 49.355′ N, 77° 7.57′ W. Marker is in Pembroke, Ontario, in Renfrew County. Marker is on James Street 0.1 kilometers north of Mary Street, on the right when traveling north Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Centre Culturel Francophone de Pembroke. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 James Street, Pembroke, Ontario K8A 4V1, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Pembroke and Mattawan Road (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); The Founder of Pembroke (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); First Military Test Flights (approx. 15.6 kilometers away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.