Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santiago de Querétaro in Municipality of Querétaro, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Temple of Santiago and Jesuit Colleges

 
 
Temple of Santiago and Jesuit Colleges Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 19, 2018
1. Temple of Santiago and Jesuit Colleges Marker
This marker with updated text replaced an older marker in 2018.
Inscription.  
Templo de Santiago y colegios jesuitas
Fundado en 1625 por la Compañía de Jesús, se le anexaron posteriormente dos centros de enseñanza: el Colegio de San Ignacio de Loyola y el de San Francisco Javier. Del interior de los colegios destaca el Patio Barroco, revestido con ornamentos de cantera. Cuando la orden jesuita fue expulsada de los territorios españoles en 1767 fue clausurado; sin embargo, los colegios se reabrieron como Reales Colegios. Actualmente es una de las sedes de la Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro.

English:
Temple of Santiago and Jesuit Colleges
Founded in 1625 by the Jesuits, two teaching center were subsequently added: The College of San Ignacio de Loyola and that of San Francisco Javier. Inside these buildings, the Baroque Patio stands out covered with cantera (a type of rock native to Mexico) ornamentation. When the Order of the Jesuits was expelled from the Spanish territories in 1767, these academic institutions were closed, however, they reopened as Royal Colleges. Currently it is one of the sites of the Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro.
 
Erected
The previous Parish of Santiago Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton
2. The previous Parish of Santiago Marker
This previous two-sided, bilingual marker was replaced in 2018. Its text read:

Parroquia de Santiago
Antigua Iglesia del Colegio Jesuita
Llegados a Querétaro en el siglo XVII, los clérigos de la Compañía de Jesús fundaron en 1625 los Colegios de San Ignacio de Loyola y San Francisco Xavier, y con ellos, el Templo, que fue reedificado hacia 1689 con la intervención del benefactor Juan Caballero y Osio.

Al ser expulsados de Nueva España los jesuitas, a mediados del siglo XVIII, cesó la actividad de los colegios, hasta que en 1771 el inmueble fue entregado a José de la Vía, primer cura del clero secular de la ciudad, con la disposición de trasladar a este espacio la Parroquia de Santiago, cuya sede se situaba en el Santuario de Guadalupe.

English:
Parish of Santiago
Formerly Church of the Jesuit College
Arriving Queretaro in the 17th century, the clergy of the Compañia de Jesus in 1625 founded the Colleges of San Ignacio de Loyola and San Francisco Xavier together with a church.

This building was rebuilt in 1689 with Juan Caballero y Osio as a benefactor. With the expulsion of the Jesuits from New Spain 1767, the schools closed.

In 1771 the property was transferred to Jose de la Via, first curate of the secular clergy in the city, with the provision that it be transferred to the area of the Parish of Santiago the site of which is located near the Sanctuary of Guadalupe.
2018 by Municipalidad de Querétaro.
 
Location. 20° 35.696′ N, 100° 23.356′ W. Marker is in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro, in Municipality of Querétaro. Marker is on Calle 16 de Septiembre just east of Calle Próspero C. Vega, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Temple of the Congregation (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Portal of Samaniego (about 180 meters away); Licenciado Lorenzo de la Parra (about 180 meters away); El Mexicano Fountain (about 180 meters away); Venustiano Carranza Garza (about 210 meters away); Ignacio Pérez (about 210 meters away); House of Mariano Lara (about 210 meters away); Juan Antonio de Urrutia y Arana (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santiago de Querétaro.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionColonial EraEducation
 
Temple of Santiago and Jesuit Colleges Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 19, 2018
3. Temple of Santiago and Jesuit Colleges Marker
The marker is now on the street, to the right of the entry into the atrium.
The previous Parish of Santiago Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 15, 2017
4. The previous Parish of Santiago Marker
The previous marker was relatively difficult to see in this view, just to the right of the entryway to the church. The church was preparing to celebrate St. James' feast day on July 25 and the area around the marker was darkened due to the additional coverings placed over the entryway.
The Parish of Santiago and the previous marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 12, 2017
5. The Parish of Santiago and the previous marker
An interior view of the Parish of Santiago image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 15, 2017
6. An interior view of the Parish of Santiago
The altar of the Parish of Santiago image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 31, 2018
7. The altar of the Parish of Santiago
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 15, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   2. submitted on July 15, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   3. submitted on June 15, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4. submitted on July 15, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   5. submitted on September 23, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   6. submitted on July 15, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   7. submitted on April 18, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.