Jamestown in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Newspaper
On this site in 1825
Adolphus Fletcher erected
a two-story building,
and on a wooden press
printed the first issue
of the Jamestown Journal,
June 21, 1826.
The building was removed
Erected 1927 by The Jamestown Centennial Committee and the State of New York.
Location. 42° 5.843′ N, 79° 14.486′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (New York State Route 60) and East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 North Main Street, Jamestown NY 14701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keyes' Carpenter Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named "Keyes' Carpenter Shop" (within shouting distance of this marker); Here the First School House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tew Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); First Furniture Factory Site of Gurney Ball Bearing Co. (about 400 feet away); "Gokey Fire" (about 400 feet away); Stage Stop (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Categories. • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.