Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Martins Mill in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Tidmore Cemetery

 
 
Tidmore Cemetery Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, June 26, 2017
1. Tidmore Cemetery Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. Pioneer L.H. Hobbs arrived in this area in about 1850 and was instrumental in the establishment of the community. He owned 320 acres of land, including this site. Hobbs allowed the King family to bury their two-year-old daughter here, marking the first known use of the burial ground. The oldest documented grave is that of Robert A. Youngblood (d. 1863).

Levin Collins purchased this 320 acres in 1865. The following year his son-in-law, John Tidmore, died from lingering maladies incurred during the Civil War. John Tidmore's widow, Martha Elizabeth (daughter of Levin Collins) and her four children moved in with her parents and siblings, and in 1872 she bought the eastern half of her parents' land, including the cemetery. She died later that year, and was interred here with her family; the graveyard became known by the Tidmore family name. The three surviving Tidmore children and their spouses later lived on adjoining lands near the cemetery. George W. Tidmore and his children operated a cotton gin. Various Tidmore family members became well-known members of the community, and were buried here in turn. L.H. Hobbs and his descendants continued to be prominent in the community, as well. Hobbs school and Hobbs Missionary Baptist Church, both located about two miles north of the cemetery, were examples of their influence.

The
Tidmore Cemetery with Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, June 26, 2017
2. Tidmore Cemetery with Marker
land on this site eventually was deeded as a cemetery. In 1933 a Hobbs descendant sold three more acres for one dollar to the Tidmore Cemetery Association. There are twelve veterans of the army of the Confederacy interred here, and many veterans of World War I and World War II. The cemetery continues to serve descendants of pioneer families and other community members.

(Incise on base)
William K. Tidmore, Researcher
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12269.)
 
Location. 32° 22.13′ N, 95° 46.153′ W. Marker is in Martins Mill, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2339 0.3 miles west of Farm to Market Road 4306, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is mounted on a post standing just within the cemetery fence. Marker is in this post office area: Athens TX 75752, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adren Anglin (approx. 5.3 miles away); Asbury Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Ben Wheeler Community (approx. 6 miles away); Alamo Institute (approx. 6.6 miles away); Morgan G. Sanders (approx. 6.6 miles away); Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin (approx. 9 miles away); Site Of Old Normandy (approx. 10.2 miles away); Brownsboro Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 83 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement