Laurentian Hills in Renfrew County, Ontario — Central Canada
Steamboating on the Upper Ottawa
The first steamboat on the Upper Ottawa River was the 25 horse-power "Lady Colborne" built in 1833 for service between Aylmer and Chats Falls. Gradually other sections of the river where opened to steam navigation and in 1854 the "Pontiac" was launched to navigate the 40-mile route between Pembroke and Rapides-des-Joachims. The "Pontiac", the first steamboat to ply in waters above Portage-du-Fort, was operated by the Union Forwarding Company which contributed to the rapid development of the Upper Ottawa as a lumbering region and tourist attraction. The steamboat gradually gave way to the railroad and by 1879 the Company (incorporated as The Union Forwarding and Railroad Company in 1859) had abandoned its passenger and freight traffic on the river.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 46° 10.077′ N, 77° 37.237′ W. Marker is in Laurentian Hills, Ontario, in Renfrew County. Marker is on Provincial Highway 17 0.1 kilometers west of Kirkwood Way, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the School House Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35753 Highway 17, Laurentian Hills, Ontario K0J 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. Nuclear Power Demonstration Reactor (approx. 5.4 kilometers away).
Also see . . . School House Museum website. (Submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.