Old Pleasant Hill in De Soto Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Battle of Pleasant Hill
Red River Campaign
On this 4 square miles in around the village of Pleasant Hill, approx. 15,000 Confederates under Maj. Gen. Richard Taylor attacked approx. 25,000 Union troops under Maj. Gen. N. P. Banks on April 9, 1864. That was the 3rd day of fighting that stopped the union attempt to capture Shreveport (Confederate capital of Louisiana and headquarters of Trans-Miss. Dept.) and launch an invasion of Texas.
Erected 1994 by The Battle of Pleasant Hill, Inc.
Location. 31° 50.753′ N, 93° 30.615′ W. Marker is in Old Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, in De Soto Parish. Marker is on Louisiana Route 175 north of Patrick Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pelican LA 71063, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federal Hospital (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Village of Pleasant Hill (approx. half a mile away); The Old Cistern (approx. half a mile away); Pleasant Hill Battle Park (approx. half a mile away); Account of the Battle of Pleasant Hill Battle of Pleasant Hill Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Old Pleasant Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Road to Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Pleasant Hill.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Battle of Pleasant Hill. (Submitted on July 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.