Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Magruder

 
 
Fort Magruder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
1. Fort Magruder Marker
Inscription.
This large redoubt was the center of a defensive line crossing the Peninsula. These earthworks, constructed by the command of General John B. Magruder, were a part of the system of fortifications designed to protect Richmond.

Here on May 5, 1862. The Battle of Williamsburg delayed the advance of the Federal Army and made possible the continued defense of Richmond.

This site preserved by
The United Daughters of the Confederacy

This marker erected by
the citizens of Williamsburg on the
occasion of the one-hundredth anniversary
of
The Battle of Williamsburg
May 5, 1962

 
Erected 1962 by Citizens of Williamsburg.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
 
Location. 37° 15.838′ N, 76° 39.978′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker is on Penniman Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Magruder (a few steps from this marker); Vineyard Tract (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct
Marker on Penniman Road image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
2. Marker on Penniman Road
This site was the center of the Williamsburg Line of Defense across the Peninsula in 1862.
line); Magruderís Defenses (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Williamsburg (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Williamsburg (approx. half a mile away); Peninsula Campaign (approx. 0.7 miles away); Quarterpath Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); History of Fort Magruder (approx. ĺ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Williamsburg, Fort Magruder, Civil War Virginia, May 5, 1862. American Civil War website. (Submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Battle of Williamsburg, 5 May 1862. (Submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. The Peninsula Campaign of 1862. (Submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
Fort Magruder Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
3. Fort Magruder Markers
Fort Magruder was part of the Third Defensive Line constructed by Gen. John B. Magruder to protect Richmond.
Fort Magruder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, June 24, 2010
4. Fort Magruder Marker
UDC Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
5. UDC Site Marker
This land was donated to the Williamsburg Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy by the Benel Corporation, Ben G. Levinson, President.
Fort Magruder Fortifications image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, June 24, 2010
6. Fort Magruder Fortifications
Fort Magruder Fortifications image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
7. Fort Magruder Fortifications
These earthworks, found in the woods to the left of the marker, were attacked by the troops of Union Gen. Joseph Hooker during the Battle of Williamsburg on May 5, 1962.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,547 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   4. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.   5. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   6. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.   7. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement