Mayville in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Transportation Hub
—History of the Coast —
The present station was built on this site in 1924 after the wood station burned. The Chautauqua Traction trolley. The Hotel Houx built in 1913, still in use today. The Chautauqua House built in 1868, burned in 1894.
The Steamboat 'Mayville' built 1876, decommissioned 1885. The 'Nettie Fox'. The 'Jamestown'. Western NY & Pennsylvania RR. Chautauqua Traction Co.
1863 Steamboat era begins
1864 Cross Cut RR built
1869 Wood train depot built
1892 Steamboat era peaks
1906 First trolley line reaches Mayville
1924 Depot burned
1924 Brick train station built
1926 Trolley era ends
1934 Steamboat era ends
1949 Last passenger train
1978 Final freight run
1980 track removed
Seaway Trail ports became links to important inland transportation hubs.
Erected by Seaway Trail, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway marker series.
Location. 42° 14.729′ N, 79° 29.704′ W. Marker is in Mayville Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mayville NY 14757, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Settler (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tourgee Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Scott Tavern (approx. ¾ mile away); Chautauqua Lake Region (approx. 0.8 miles away); Donald McKenzie (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Courts (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ellen Y. Miller (approx. 0.8 miles away); Land Office (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mayville.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.