Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakewood in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lakewood Schools

 
 
Lakewood Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
1. Lakewood Schools Marker
Inscription.
Highland Avenue School. Lakewood's first high school was located on Highland Avenue which runs east from Chautauqua Avenue and south of Packard Way and the Lakewood Fire Department. Built in 1893, the two-story structure cost $8,000. It was a frame building painted green. Of the five first floor rooms three were classrooms for the primary, intermediate and grammar departments. The other two housed a library and teachers' room. The second floor was a large assembly room with a stage. A wing containing classrooms and facilities was added during the 1890s. The school was closed in 1924 when the modern Lakewood High School was opened at the northeast corner of East Summit Street and Lakeview Avennue.

Lakewood School. The Lakewood School opened on this site in 1924. The $115,000 brick structure contained the latest in modern facilities including automatically controlled bells and a complete telephone system. Lakewood's population growth in the 1920s necessitated additions to the school: fourteen rooms in 1931; six classrooms and lockers and lavatories in 1939. In 1947 Lakewood School became part of the Southwestern Central School System which included all Busti and West Ellicott schools. Lakewood School became a K-6th grade school in 1954 when the higher grades occupied a new building on Hunt Road. In 1966 sixth graders
Lakewood School Site & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
2. Lakewood School Site & Marker
from Lakewood School became part of the new Hunt Road SWCS Middle School. Lakewood School was abandoned in 2002 with the completion of a centralized elementary school on the Hunt Road campus. It was demolished in 2005.
 
Erected 2011 by Lakewood History Committee. (Marker Number 8.)
 
Location. 42° 6.208′ N, 79° 19.369′ W. Marker is in Lakewood, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of East Summit Street and Lakeview Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Summit Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakewood NY 14750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Holbrook Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chautauqua Avenue, Looking North to Lake (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chautauqua Avenue, Looking South (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aull Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Paul Sorg Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lakewood Honor Roll (approx. mile away); First Kent House and Second Kent House (approx. mile away); Lakeview House, Sterlingworth Hotel and Lakewood Country Club (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakewood.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.
Paid Advertisement