Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakewood in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chautauqua Avenue, Looking South

 
 
Chautauqua Avenue, Looking South Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
1. Chautauqua Avenue, Looking South Marker
Inscription.
Intersection, Summit and Chautauqua Avenues, Looking South. The Chautauqua Avenue buildings on the right between Summit Street and Third Street were built in the 1890's. Their characteristic flat roofs can still be recognized today although porches and balconies have been removed. Each of the large structures called "blocks" housed a wide variety of commercial operations to supply local residents' needs in the age of limited transportation. The building on the southwest corner of Summit and Chautauqua was a rooming house with a saloon in the basement. Later it was Miles Grocery and the familiar P and A Grocery as recently as the late 1970s. The village fire bell was and can be seen on the top of the tallest building. That bell is now in front of the fire station on Chautauqua Avenue. Similar small shops and services extended along the left side of Chautauqua Avenue also. The original steep southward slope of Chautauqua Avenue, seen here, was graded in 1891 to a moderate grade. The trolley tracks in the foreground are those of the Jamestown Street Railway Company which made Lakewood its western terminus after it was electrified in 1891.

Chautauqua Avenue-Summit Street Intersection. This 1934 winter view looks toward the main intersection of the village. The low building in the center of the picture replaced the
Chautauqua Avenue Looking South & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
2. Chautauqua Avenue Looking South & Marker
larger, earlier structure which had housed a number of facilities including a Chautauqua Traction station. The new building, a grocery store, later became the Post Office and is now a prvate enterprise. The building on the left, another grocery, remains, minus its second floor.
 
Erected 2011 by Lakewood History Committee. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Location. 42° 6.195′ N, 79° 19.579′ W. Marker is in Lakewood, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of Chautauqua Avenue and West Summit Street, on the right when traveling south on Chautauqua Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakewood NY 14750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chautauqua Avenue, Looking North to Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); New Holbrook Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lakewood Village Hall (about 500 feet away); The Packards (about 500 feet away); Aull Cottage (about 800 feet away); Paul Sorg Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lakewood Station on Erie Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Packard Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakewood.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.
Paid Advertisement