Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Camp Ford

1862 - 1865

 

—Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History —

 
Camp Ford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
1. Camp Ford Marker
Inscription. Confederate training camp and largest Confederate prisoner of war camp west of the Mississippi for captured Union troops.
 
Erected by Main Street Tyler Texas.
 
Location. 32° 21.106′ N, 95° 17.989′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from East Ferguson Street west of North Spring Street. Touch for map. Part of the Tyler Half Mile of History Heritage Trail. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Ferguson Street, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Yarbrough Building (a few steps from this marker); Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Miller Morgan (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Henry Miller Morgan (about 400 feet away); Thomas R. Bonner (about 400 feet away); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (about 500 feet away); Brady P. Gentry (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
Camp Ford Marker can be seen in foreground. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
2. Camp Ford Marker can be seen in foreground.

1. Wikipedia article on Camp Ford, (Tyler, Texas). (Submitted on July 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. University of Texas at Austin article on Camp Ford. (Submitted on July 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Wood cut engraving of the Camp Ford Prison Camp. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton
3. Wood cut engraving of the Camp Ford Prison Camp.
Originally drawn by Corp. James S. McClain, "F" 120th Ohio, Infantry, captured on May 3, 1864, and held as a prisoner of war until the final exchange of prisoners on May 27, 1865. The inserts show: left - the camp hospital located south of the prison; center - the headquarters of Col. Reuben R. Brown, 35th Texas Cavalry, who was in command of the camp from September 1864 until the war's end, and right - the cabin of Captain Elias Fraunfelter, Co. F, 120th Ohio, Captured on the Red River, May 3, 1864, exchanged May 27, 1865. Note that there is an engraver's error, as the name shows as "Braunfelter."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 116 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement