Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Jefferson Military College

 
 
Jefferson Military College Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
1. Jefferson Military College Marker
Inscription.
N. 200 yd. Founded 1802. Mississippi's oldest school. Received the first charter to be conferred for any purpose by legislature of Mississippi Territory.
 
Erected 1957 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 31° 34.791′ N, 91° 18.036′ W. Marker is in Washington, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on Jefferson College Street north of U.S. 61, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington MS 39190, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andrew Jackson at Washington (a few steps from this marker); Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. John W. Monette (within shouting distance of this marker); The President's House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Campground (about 800 feet away); Elizabeth Female Academy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Elizabeth Female College (approx. 0.6 miles away); Foster Mounds (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
 
Categories. EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Jefferson Military College Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. Jefferson Military College Marker
Jefferson Military College - West (1839) and East (1819) Wings image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 2, 2017
3. Jefferson Military College - West (1839) and East (1819) Wings
The West Wing (on left) as well as the East Wing are built in the Federal architectural style.
Jefferson Military College - East Wing (1819) image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 2, 2017
4. Jefferson Military College - East Wing (1819)
The oldest building on the Jefferson College campus, the East Wing was a multi-purpose facility containing classrooms, offices, and living quarters for both students and faculty. Following a fire in 1841, the East Wing's wood shingle roof was replaced with slate.
Jefferson Military College - Raymond Hall (1915) image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 2, 2017
5. Jefferson Military College - Raymond Hall (1915)
Raymond Hall, a dormitory, was the last building constructed at the school. It is named for Agnes Z. Carpenter, a benefactor of the school.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2017.   3, 4, 5. submitted on July 19, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.
Paid Advertisement