Norwood & St. Lawrence #210
American Locomotive Company's Cooke Works built #210 in 1923 for the Norwood & St. Lawrence Railroad. Throughout its active career, #210 pulled mixed trains (freight cars with baggage and passenger cars on the rear) across northern New York State.
Originally incorporated to carry Canadian pulpwood, the Norwood & St. Lawrence grew to become a robust Class 2 railroad. Its freight and passengers could make connections with both the New York Central and Rutland Railroad.
As with many other railroads, freight shipments fell drastically in the 1970s. In 1973, the railroad discontinued service and abandoned its line. The Norwood & St. Lawrence, New York State's last steam short line railroad, ceased to exist.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 41° 24.415′ N, 75° 40.126′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Touch for map. Marker and locomotive are on the grounds of Steamtown National Historic Site, with park entrance off Lackawanna Avenue at Cliff Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Cliff Street, Scranton PA 18503, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Steamtown National Historic Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct
Also see . . .
1. Norwood & St. Lawrence #210 Ownership History. (Submitted on July 18, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Steamtown National Historic Site. (Submitted on July 18, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.