Site of Mound Laboratory (1946- 2003)
The facilities once here propelled the United States through the Nuclear and Space Ages and were named for the nearby pre-historic Miamisburg Mound. The Manhattan engineer District of the War Department began construction of Mound Laboratory in 1946. The facility consolidated production of the nuclear-reaction initiators, developed for the United States’ first atomic bombs during World War II. Previously (1943-1946), the work to separate, purify, and process the element polonium used in these initiators occurred at facilities throughout the Dayton area. Mound Laboratory was the first permanent post-WWII Atomic Energy Commission site. Mound Laboratory had 116 buildings and at its peak employed approximately 2,500 scientists, engineers, and skilled workers. Contractors operating at the site were Monsanto (1947- 1988), Edgerton, Germeshausen, and Grier (1988- 1997), and Babcock and Wilcox (1997- 2002).
The U.S. Atomic Energy Commission and the Department of Energy operated Mound Laboratory as an integrated research, development and production center from 1948- 2003. These facilities supported missions including the invention of the radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG), fueled nearly 2,500 polonium-210 and plutonium-238 heat sources, as well as the assembly and testing of RTGs. The
Erected 2016 by Mound Science and Energy Museum Mound Development Corporation Miamisburg Historical Society The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 26- 57.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 37.924′ N, 84° 16.903′ W. Marker is in Miamisburg, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Mound Rd, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 634 Mound Rd, Miamisburg OH 45342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mound Laboratory (1946- 2010) (here, next to this marker); Miamisburg Mound (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Miamisburg Mound Heritage Village (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mad River Road / Road From Cunningham's to Mad River (approx. 3½ miles away); Woody's Market (approx. 3.8 miles away); Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery (was approx. 4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Wright Seaplane Base / Wright Model G "Aeroboat" (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miamisburg.
Categories. • Air & Space • Science & Medicine • War, Cold •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 19, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.