Livingston Manor Covered Bridge
The bridge was originally known as Motts Flat Bridge, more recently called the Vantran Bridge. It is the oldest of four remaining Catskill type patented town-lattice covered bridges in Sullivan County built by John Davidson in 1860.
The bridge was close for more than four decades. Restoration began in 1984 by the Department of Public Works using original construction techniques, methods and materials. All major components were reworked including the truss chords, floor, roof and wooden pins (treenails). Technical assistance was provided by covered bridge consultant Milton S. Graton of New Hampshire. The 103 foot span bridge reopened in November 1985 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The house adjacent to the bridge is the homestead of Dr. John Mott, philanthropist, Nobel Peace Prize winner and founder of the YMCA.
Location. 41° 54.883′ N, 74° 49.9′ W. Marker is in Livingston Manor, New York, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Covered Bridge Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston Manor NY 12758, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Livingston Manor Covered Bridge
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.