Marker Number Two
The conical shape, the type of burials, and the absence of associate earthworks indicate that the Miamisburg Mound was the work of Adena Indians, a prehistoric group that lived in the Ohio valley between 1000 B.C. and 400 A.D. These people were the first in this area to domesticate plants for food, to settle in fairly permanent villages, and to make pottery. An important part of their way of life was the proper burial of the dead in graves that were covered with earth mounds, such as this one.
Erected by The Ohio Historical Society.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Miamisburg Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Mound Laboratory (1946- 2003) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mound Laboratory (1946- 2010) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Heritage Village (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mad River Road / Road From Cunningham's to Mad River (approx. 3.4 miles away); Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery (was approx. 4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Woody's Market (approx. 4 miles away); The Wright Seaplane Base / Wright Model G "Aeroboat" (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miamisburg.
Categories. • Anthropology • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Paleontology •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.