Near Montpelier in Bear Lake County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
(Crow Creek Road)
In 1912 Benoni (Noen) and Mary (Maime) Wilkes homesteaded 322 acres where cabins had been built by Hale-Tolman with the mail contract, (held by) Mr and Mrs Tom Ritson, and Charles and Orson Anderson and their wives. Here, Noen Wilkes built Halfway House and a large barn that could house 32 teams and their drivers. This was a haven for freighters, the mail wagon between Afton and Montpelier, and the daily stage coach where travelers could stop for dinner and a change of horses. Maime telephoned Afton daily to find how many guests were on their way so she could provide a family style meal on her wood-burning range. The bunkhouse had a cook stove for those who wished to cook their own meals. A stop at Halfway was a social event that provided a welcome relief from the hard
Erected 2010 by Star Valley Historical Society.
Location. 42° 30.18′ N, 111° 9.492′ W. Marker is near Montpelier, Idaho, in Bear Lake County. Marker is on Crow Creek Road (Forest Road 111) near Forest Road 147, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montpelier ID 83254, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beaver Divide (approx. one mile away); White Dugway (approx. 2½ miles away); Nield Ranch (approx. 5.4 miles away); Camp Giveout (approx. 6.2 miles away); Snowslide Canyon and Hanke’s Ranch (approx. 7.6 miles away); Pioneer Church (approx. 14.7 miles away); Bank Robbers (approx. 14.9 miles away); Butch Cassidy Robs the Montpelier Bank (approx. 14.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montpelier.
Regarding Halfway House. For nearly five decades, the (40-mile) Crow Creek Road served as the main link in and out of Star Valley. Starting in 1879 the route was used by Star Valley’s first settlers. Later the road
Also see . . . Transportation - Montpelier Oregon Trail blog. In 1879, a small group of men came into the Valley over the road used to haul salt from a salt deposit, on what is now known as Crow Creek, from Bear Lake County in Idaho. After building log cabins, they returned to Bear Lake and got their families. This was a trip of about 150 miles with little or no road about half the distance. They brought eight wagons with them and the trip required three weeks. (Submitted on July 21, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 129 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.