Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakewood in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lakeview House, Sterlingworth Hotel and Lakewood Country Club

 
 
Lakeview House, Sterlingworth Hotel and Lakewood Country Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
1. Lakeview House, Sterlingworth Hotel and Lakewood Country Club Marker
Inscription.
Lakeview House. Built in 1870, this was the first large resort hotel on the west side of Chautauqua Lake. It was first named the Cowing House and renamed the Lakeview House in 1874. The hotel had a 150 foot frontage along the lake and extended 120 feet from the lake shore up to Terrace Avenue. Hotel business was so good in the 1880's that this structure was razed in 1889 and replaced by the larger Sterlingworth Hotel.

Sterlingworth Hotel. This hotel was renowned for its castle-like architecture style and for its many guest services. Like the earlier hotel on the site, it extended uphill from a 120 foot lake shore frontage to its collonnaded main entrance where Chautauqua Avenue meets Terrace Avenue. The hotel experienced a few prosperous years after its opening in 1889. Several short summer seasons in the mid 1890s caused its financial failure. It was renamed Waldemere and became part of the neighboring Kent House, used for guest overflow until it was destroyed by fire in 1903.

Lakewood Country Club. In 1905, a group of summer residents built this, the third large structure to be built on this site. It was a private club until the first World War. After 1919 it was converted into Lakewood Inn, a leading lake hotel and popular dining spot during the 1920s. The village of Lakewood bought and demolished
Lakeview House, Sterlingworth Hotel and Lakewood Country Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
2. Lakeview House, Sterlingworth Hotel and Lakewood Country Club Marker
This is the center one of these three markers.
the aging clubhouse in 1929. The Lakewood Village Park (now Richard O. Hartley Park) opened in 1935.
 
Erected 2010 by Lakewood History Committee. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Location. 42° 6.344′ N, 79° 19.578′ W. Marker is in Lakewood, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of West Terrace Avenue and Chautauqua Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Terrace Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakewood NY 14750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Kent House and Second Kent House (here, next to this marker); Packard Mansion (here, next to this marker); Lakewood Honor Roll (a few steps from this marker); Paul Sorg Mansion (a few steps from this marker); Aull Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); New Holbrook Hotel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chautauqua Avenue, Looking North to Lake (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Packards (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakewood.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.
Paid Advertisement