Bar Harbor in Hancock County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The Village Green
Bar Harbor, Maine
—The Museum in the Streets —
The Village Green was originally the site of the 350-room Grand Hotel. Many stories have been told about the immature Boston boys and the cultured Philadelphia girls who socialized around the “fish pond” at the nearby Rodick House. The Hotel was purchased by the town and demolished in 1899, making room for the park designed by noted landscape architect Beatrix Farrand. The first of many concerts that continue to this day was held July 21, 1899. Another feature of interest is the exquisite Italian 17th century bronze fountain from Florence, Italy, donated by Philip Livingston in memory of his wife Julia. On the Main Street side of the park is the town clock visible in this picture which was donated in 1892 by Mrs. William Tucker and her two sons of Boston.
Erected 2013 by Museum in the Streets. (Marker Number 16.)
Location. 44° 23.262′ N, 68° 12.271′ W. Marker is in Bar Harbor, Maine, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Mt. Desert Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bar Harbor ME 04609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial (a few steps from Donald A. Wood Band Stand (within shouting distance of this marker); The Abbe Museum & Congregational Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Memorial (about 600 feet away); The Village Burying Ground (about 600 feet away); St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Welcomes You (about 600 feet away); The YWCA and Jesup Memorial Library (about 700 feet away); Bar Harbor Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bar Harbor.
More about this marker. A postcard depicting Main Street as viewed from the Village Green appears on the top of the marker. A picture of the Rodick House, ca. 1886, appears at the bottom of the marker, courtesy of the Bar Harbor Historical Society. It has a caption of “Perhaps the best-known room in the Rodick House is the so-called fish-pond, a large hall where young people assemble after breakfast and early dinner, and in which the girls are supposed to angle for their escorts. – Marion F. Crawford, 1894”.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.