Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Texas & Pacific Railroad Depot

 
 
Texas & Pacific Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 9, 2017
1. Texas & Pacific Railroad Depot Marker
Inscription. With the arrival of the railroad in Abilene in 1881, a railroad car was used as the first depot. In 1882, a two-story structure was built consisting of a passenger waiting room, office space, dining and a hotel on the second floor. Located a few blocks from here, the depot was replaced with a one-story wood building in 1902. In response to growing public efforts, the Texas & Pacific Railroad announced in 1907 a plan to erect a new depot.
†††††Construction began in May 1910 and included a brick and concrete building with a tile roof. The Texas & Pacific Railroad depot is a rectangular, one-story building displaying an eclectic blend of Mission Revival and Prairie School influences. Surmounted by a hipped tile roof with gabled dormers, the depot features a projecting gable over the North First Street entrance, opposite an octagonal tower. Over a battered stucco base, the red brick walls rise to a molded cornice, with corner quoins, stringcourse and decorative details at the dormers executed in stucco or cast stone. The windows originally had multi-light upper sashes with a row of diamond panes at the top.
†††††On March 14, 1911, thousands of people gathered to hear former President Theodore Roosevelt speak. In 1936, the Works Progress Administration built a section of elevated track with concrete underpasses with passenger stairs
Texas & Pacific Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 9, 2017
2. Texas & Pacific Railroad Depot Marker
to track level. The depot open freight bay was enclosed in 1947 and the dormers were removed from the main roof and tower in 1953. The passenger terminal closed in 1984 and the depot was donated to the city of Abilene in 1991. The city, in partnership with the Dodge Jones Foundation, completely restored the depot and it reopened in 1994.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2016

 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18416.)
 
Location. 32° 26.966′ N, 99° 44.062′ W. Marker is in Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of N 1st Street and Cypress St, on the left when traveling west on N 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 N 1st St, Abilene TX 79601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hotel Grace (within shouting distance of this marker); Abilene Reporter-News (within shouting distance of this marker); The Texas & Pacific Railway (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bankhead Highway
Texas & Pacific Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 9, 2017
3. Texas & Pacific Railroad Depot
(about 400 feet away); Site of Curfew by John J. Clinton (about 400 feet away); Pine Street Shootout (about 500 feet away); Hotel Wooten (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abilene.
 
Also see . . .  Texas and Pacific Railway. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on July 21, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement