Bar Harbor in Hancock County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Bar Harbor, Maine
—The Museum in the Streets —
After being privately owned by several families such as the Rodicks and Pineos, the long period of arguments over its development and ideas to build a bridge to Bar Harbor lasted until John D. Rockefeller, Jr. quietly purchased the half of the island that has the sandbar which provides access to the town. Acadia National Park now owns the entire island which is accessible by foot at low tide. A word of warning. Be sure to check tide charts before you go there; the way across is completely covered by four to eight feet of water at high tide.
Veazie Cottage, the mansard architectural-style building on the corner across the street, was the third summer home built in Bar Harbor. It originally stood where the Bar Harbor Inn is now located, at the end of Newport Drive and was moved to its present site in 1887.
Erected 2013 by Museum in the Streets. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 44° 23.436′ N, 68° 12.588′ W. Marker is in Bar Harbor, Maine, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of West Street and Bridge Street, on the right when traveling west on West Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bar Harbor ME 04609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are The Kedge (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Welcomes You (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Village Burying Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bar Harbor, Maine (approx. 0.3 miles away); The YWCA and Jesup Memorial Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Donald A. Wood Band Stand (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Abbe Museum & Congregational Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bar Harbor.
More about this marker. An 1883 painting by Maitland Armstrong of “The Bar” appears at the top of the marker.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 133 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.