Sault Ste. Marie in Algoma District, Ontario — Central Canada
Precious Blood Cathedral
This church was constructed in 1875 and dedicated in 1876 as the Parish Church of The Sacred Heart by Bishop Jean-Francois Jamot. It replaced a wooden building constructed in 1846 which had served as a Jesuit missionary post for this region. Built of local red-gray sandstone, it was designed in the Gothic Revival style with a single nave, tall lancet windows, and an imposing tower and slate roof. In 1901 transepts were added and in 1930 a new vestry was built. Both additions adhere to the original style. The Diocese of Sault Ste. Marie was created by the Holy See in 1904 and this church was selected as the Diocesan Cathedral. It was renamed the Cathedral of the Precious Blood in 1936.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 46° 30.434′ N, 84° 19.57′ W. Marker is in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, in Algoma District. Marker is on Queen Street East 0.2 kilometers west of Pim Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 778 Queen Street East, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 2B1, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ermatinger House (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Nicolas Perrot Dr. Roberta Bondar (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Passenger and Packet Freighters on the Upper Great Lakes (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Anna Jameson (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); The North West Company Post (approx. 1.7 kilometers away); Francis Hector Clergue (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); The First Sault Ste. Marie Canal (approx. 2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sault Ste. Marie.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Precious Blood Cathedral. (Submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.