Ebenezer Baptist Church
Longest Uninterrupted Ministry
On May 9, 1806, eleven individuals met together with Rev. Richard Curtis, Jr. and Rev. Thomas Mercer to organize Ebenezer Baptist Church in Amite County. Services have continued there for over 200 years giving the church the distinction of having the longest UNINTERRUPTED MINISTRY of any Mississippi Baptist Church
Rev. Ezra Courtney, one of the 11 founding church members, was called as the first pastor of the new church on November 1, 1806 and served as Ebenezer's pastor until 1819.
World War II brought Camp Van Doran to Centerville and the Ebenezer community. The United States Government temporarily appropriated the church property; consequently the church members were forced to worship in a nearby home for nearly six years from 1942 to 1947.
In 1956, Ebenezer celebrated its Sesquicentennial in conjunction with the Mississippi Baptist Association, also organized in 1806. Governor J.P. Coleman was a special guest for the occasion. The church celebrated its bicentennial in 2006.
Erected by Mississippi Baptist Historical Commission.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mississippi College (here, next to this marker); Woodville Baptist Church (here, next to this marker); Richard Curtis, Jr. (a few steps from this marker); Blue Mountain College (a few steps from this marker); William Carey University (a few steps from this marker); The Baptist Children's Village (a few steps from this marker); Organization of Baptist Churches in Mississippi (a few steps from this marker); Conference Ministries (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayette.
More about this marker. Located in the Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2017.