Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lincoln in Logan County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Niebuhr Family of Theologians

 
 
The Niebuhr Family of Theologians Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 19, 2017
1. The Niebuhr Family of Theologians Marker
Inscription. The Niebuhr family, called “The Trapp Family of Theology” by Time magazine, produced four distinguished professors of Christian studies. In 1902, the Rev. Gustav and Lydia Niebuhr came to Lincoln, where he became pastor of St. John’s Evangelical Church and Deaconess Hospital administrator. All four of their children – Hulda, Walter, Reinhold, and Helmut Richard – were confirmed here.

After Gustav’s death, Reinhold (1892-1971) assumed the interim pastorate and was ordained at St. John’s on June 29, 1913. From a Detroit pastorate he moved to New York in 1928 and taught at Union Theological Seminary, exerting wide influence in religion and politics through his doctrine of Christian realism. His works include The Serenity Prayer, used by the military, AA and other personal recovery programs. In 1948 he appeared on the cover of Time magazine and in 1964 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

H. Richard Niebuhr (1894-1962), an authority on theological ethics and church history, was president of Elmhurst College and taught at Eden Seminary in St. Louis and at Yale for 31 years. His son, Richard R. Niebuhr, taught theology at Harvard from 1956 to 1999. Hulda Niebuhr (1889-1959) taught at Boston University and at McCormick Seminary, Chicago. Lydia’s sister, Adele Hosto, was consecrated a deaconess
The Niebuhr Family of Theologians Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 19, 2017
2. The Niebuhr Family of Theologians Marker
at St. John’s in 1914 and served in Lincoln beginning in 1942.

During the Niebuhr pastorate, St. John’s Evangelical Church stood at Fifth and Union Streets. St. John United Church of Christ is that church’s descendant. H. Richard Niebuhr spoke at its dedicate in 1925. Gustav, Lydia and Hulda Niebuhr and Adele Hosto are buried in Union Cemetery in Lincoln.
 
Erected 2001 by St. John United Church of Christ, Friends of the Niebuhrs, and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 8.973′ N, 89° 22.163′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Illinois, in Logan County. Marker is on South Maple Street north of 7th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln IL 62656, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Poem by Langston Hughes (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The William Maxwell Boyhood Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen A. Douglas Speech (approx. ¼ mile away); Centennial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lincoln's Lincoln
The Niebuhr Family of Theologians Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 19, 2017
3. The Niebuhr Family of Theologians Marker
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln and Lincoln, Illinois (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lincoln House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lincoln Rustic Scene of Conspiracy (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 
St. John United Church of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 19, 2017
4. St. John United Church of Christ
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 23, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement