Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In January 1777, the Virginia Assembly’s Committee of Law Revisors, met at the tavern. At that time, William Smith rented and operated the establishment, as Colonel Weedon was in New Jersey with General Washington’s Continental Army. Weedon’s son-in-law, Hugh Mercer, was also serving with Washington. Mercer, a doctor in civilian life, had practiced in an office just one block to the north. He died of wounds sustained at the battle of Princeton, while the Committee was meeting in Fredericksburg.
The tavern burned in a fire that swept through these blocks in 1807.
Erected by City of Fredericksburg.
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 38° 18.223′ N, 77° 27.577′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of William Street (Virginia Route 3) and Caroline Street, on the right when traveling east on William Street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stating Inalienable Rights (here, next to this marker); Seeking Civil Rights (here, next to this marker); Lewis Randolph Ball (within shouting distance of this marker); First Town Hall / Market House (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Town Hall / Market House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Lease Land (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Barton House (about 400 feet away); Prisoners of Christ (about 400 feet away); Fredericksburg Baptist Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,829 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 2, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on September 4, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on August 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.