Crystal Falls in Iron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This county was set off in 1885 from Marquette and Menominee counties. Iron ore deposits which gave the new county its name were the first on the Menominee Iron Range to be discovered. Shipping of ores began in 1882 when the railroad came in. Iron River was the first county seat, but in 1889, after a celebrated struggle, the government was shifted to Crystal Falls. Logging, which began in 1875, has been second only to mining in Iron County’s economy.
J.C. Clancy designed this Richardsonian Romanesque Style building which was completed in 1891. Constructed of regional materials, including reddish stone columns quarried from the nearby Paint River and yellow clay bricks, the courthouse commands a view of the city’s main street and the valley below. The structure, featuring a domed courtroom with original furnishings, continues to serve a county built from “the iron and the pine.”
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0179.)
Location. 46° 5.807′ N, 88° 20.103′ W. Marker is in Crystal Falls, Michigan, in Iron County. Marker is at the intersection of South 6th Street and Superior Avenue, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 S 6th St, Crystal Falls MI 49920, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Iron County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Indian Village (approx. 9.1 miles away); Pentoga Park (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Additional keywords. County Courthouse
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 116 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 24, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.