Leighton in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Founder of Leighton
The town of Leighton was named in honor of the Reverend William Leigh, son and grandson of Revolutionary War veterans. He was born in Amelia County Virginia, Oct 4, 1790 and moved to Alabama about 1823. Leigh settled nearby at “Jeffers Cross Roads” and became a large landowner, pioneer merchant, postmaster, and La Grange College trustee. He was a charter member of Leighton Masonic Lodge No. 43 and served as Grand Master of the Alabama Masons (1833-1835). Leigh was a Missionary Baptist preacher for 63 years and served as pastor and leader in the Muscle Shoals Baptist Association. In 1836, he donated land and helped build a brick meeting house in Leighton for joint use by the Masons, Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Cumberland Presbyterians, and others.
Erected 2009 by The Colbert County Historical Landmarks Foundation, Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 42.003′ N, 87° 36.62′ W. Marker is in Leighton, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is on Old Hwy 20 east of Morgan Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Leigh family cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3036 Old Hwy 20, Tuscumbia AL 35674, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Howell & Graves School (approx. 2.7 miles away); History of Muscle Shoals, Alabama (approx. 3½ miles away); The Singing River Sculpture (approx. 3.7 miles away); LaGrange College (approx. 3.9 miles away); Belle Mont (approx. 4 miles away); Tuscumbia's Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Alabama (approx. 4.9 miles away); Trenholm High School (approx. 5.2 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.