Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Custom House
National Historic Site
A notable example of Greek Revival architecture, this building follows in many regards Latrobe’s design of 1818. It was erected in 1819 – 1824 by his pupil, Strickland, as the Second Bank of the United States. The first of modern adaptations of the Parthenon at Athens, it was the center of the bitter financial and political struggle in which the bank’s head, Nicholas Biddle, and his ally, Henry Clay, contended with President Jackson for control of the nation’s monetary system. Jackson prevented the rechartering of the bank in 1836, and from 1845 to 1934 its former home served as the Philadelphia Custom House.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 39° 56.929′ N, 75° 8.903′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is on Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the front of the 2nd Bank of the United States, between 4th and 5th Street. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philosophical Hall (here, next to this marker); A Street Scene in the Capital City (a few steps from this marker); Philadelphia Bank Building The Signer (within shouting distance of this marker); Gilbert Stuart House (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Bank of the United States (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph and Amy Cassey (within shouting distance of this marker); Library of the American Philosophical Society (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.