Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“. . .it was intended to be an expression of the American mind. . .”
Thomas Jefferson resided at his site while drafting the Declaration of Independence. In little more than two weeks, Jefferson finished his timeless defense of “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
While Jefferson labored over every word in the Declaration of Independence, his enslaved servant Bob Hemings provided for his needs. The words in the Declaration of Independence – “All men are created equal” – would later serve as a rallying cry for personal freedom in this nation and around the globe.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 39° 57.047′ N, 75° 9.133′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling east on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Graff House (a few steps from this marker); Declaration House (a few steps from this marker); American Pharmaceutical Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Rohm and Haas [Headquarters] Bicentennial Dawn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Siegmund Lubin (about 400 feet away); Robert Cornelius (about 400 feet away); W.C. Fields (1880 - 1946) (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
More about this marker. Pictures of the Declaration House bedroom and parlor appear on the marker. A portrait of Thomas Jefferson is at the upper right.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.