A Symbol of Community Pride & Conﬁdence
Erected in 1911 at a cost of $1,200.00, the original Milton Clock was donated by Mrs. Robert Caie. The mechanical works of the clock were manufactured by J. Smith and Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby, England. Located in the tower at the Milton Engine Company fire station, the clock was a local landmark until the station was destroyed by fire in 1989. The original clockworks were badly damaged in the fire.
The clock situated in this contemporary tower contains the original painted metal clock faces salvaged from the fire. These have been mounted in front of an electronic movement. The clock hands are replicas of the hands used with the original clockworks.
The community named Milton originates from the presence of a cluster of water-powered grist, saw, and carding mills situated where Lake Milo empties into Yarmouth Harbour.
[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
Mrs. Robert (Sophia Willam) Caie (1836-1916) donor of the original Milton Clock.
Residence of Robert and Sophia Caie in Milton. This house was later occupied they their daughter Clara Caie. The house was demolished in 1962.
Clara Caie (1874-1955) was a founding member and first treasurer of the Milton Improvement Society and "tireless in her many services to her native town."
The Yarmouth Vanguard, April 25, 1989
Yarmouth Telegram, Friday, March 7, 1913
The Milton Improvement Society has made many contributions to the beautification of Milton since its founding.
A 1935 view of the clock installed in the tower of the Milton Fire Engine Company Fire Hall. The clock tower was also used to drain and dry the leather and canvas fire hoses. This fire station was the home of the Firefighters' Museum from 1962 until 1972.
The area north of Chester Street in Yarmouth has been known as Milton since 1826.
A description of the opening ceremony for the new fire station in the Milton Fire Engine Company Minute Book, June 29, 1911.
Photos: Firefighters' Museum of Nova Scotia and Yarmouth County Museum Archives.
Erected 2003 by Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation and Others.
Location. 43° 50.694′ N, 66° 7.108′ W. Marker is in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, in Yarmouth County. Marker is on Water Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker and clock are about 60 meters NNW of Tim Hortons/Wendy's, along the waterfront. Marker is in this post office area: Yarmouth, Nova Scotia B5A 1H8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Political Life (a few steps
Also see . . .
1. Milton, or Yarmouth North. (Submitted on July 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Yarmouth's Historic Waterfront Panels. (Submitted on July 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Disasters • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 147 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on July 30, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.