Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ralls in Crosby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Emma

 
 
Emma Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
1. Emma Marker
Inscription. In the spring of 1891, merchants R.L. Stringfellow and H.E. Hume of nearby Estacado founded the town of Emma, named in honor of Stringfellow's future wife, Emma Savior (or Sevall). The two men organized a general store and laid out the townsite, which opened with a picnic and town lots sale.

In the fall of that year, the county seat was moved from Estacado to Emma; residents dismantled the Estacado courthouse and moved it piece by piece to its new site on Emma's town square. Along with the courthouse came many of Estacado's businesses, including the Crosby County News, edited by J.W. Murray. Land speculators, including Julian Bassett of C.B. Livestock Co. and John R. Ralls, founder of the town of Ralls, also came to the area.

During the next two decades, Emma experienced a boom. By 1910, the town had several hundred residents, supporting a post office, the Meyer Hotel and a school. That year, however, the South Plains Railroad bypassed the community by approximately five miles, traveling from Lubbock to Crosbyton. Later, Ralls became an additional stop along the railway. County residents voted in a disputed election to move the county seat to Crosbyton. Soon most of Emma's residences and businesses were moved to Crosbyton and Ralls; the old courthouse was hauled to Cedric, where it served as housing and was eventually
Emma Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
2. Emma Marker
razed.

Although the area around Emma is still agricultural, the former county seat quickly became a ghost town as residents moved to other communities. Today, the Emma Cemetery is the only remaining link to the men and women who once inhabited the town.
 
Erected 1968 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12942.)
 
Location. 33° 37.137′ N, 101° 23.383′ W. Marker is near Ralls, Texas, in Crosby County. Marker is on State Highway 207 3.8 miles south of U.S. 82, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ralls TX 79357, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Emma Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ralls Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); John R. Ralls Building (approx. 4.2 miles away); Early Settlers of Ralls (approx. 4.2 miles away); City of Ralls (approx. 4.2 miles away); Crosby County Courthouse (approx. 9.1 miles away); Lamar Building (approx. 9.1 miles away); Citizens National Bank (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ralls.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Emma Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
3. Emma Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 147 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement