Anacostia in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Civil War Defenses of Washington
Battery Ricketts, built to defend an area in front of Fort Stanton, was named for Maj. Gen. James B. Ricketts.
Erected by National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 51.401′ N, 76° 58.512′ W. Marker is in Anacostia, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Bruce Place SE and Raynolds Place SE, on the right when traveling north on Bruce Place SE. Touch for map. Located in Fort Stanton Park. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thurgood Marshall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Stanton (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Growlery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frederick Douglass National Historic Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Sage of Anacostia (approx. ¾ mile away); Uniontown, DC's First Suburb (approx. 0.8 miles away); Education Matters (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mother Churches and Their Daughters (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anacostia.
More about this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Ricketts. National Park Service page on the fort. (Submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Fort Stanton. Wikipedia entry covering Fort Stanton and surrounding fortifications. (Submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. James Brewerton Ricketts, U.S. Army. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. Battery Ricketts Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Noted as a "Fort" in some references, this work had a perimeter of 123 yards. The form was an enclosed battery or redoubt. Its purpose was to defend an exposed ravine, which was a blind side to nearby Fort Stanton. Thus Forts Stanton, Ricketts, and Fort Snyder (further to the south) defended the approaches
The fort's armament evolved over time. In February 1862 it boasted four 32-pdr seacoast guns. By March 1864 these were replaced by three 12-pdr howitzers and one 8-inch siege howitzer. A year later the howitzers were upgraded to 12-pdr Napoleons.
Units stationed at different times at the fort included the 59th New York Infantry, 4th, 9th, and 10th New York Heavy Artillery, 88th and 99th Pennsylvania Infantry, 9th Rhode Island Infantry, 17th and 19th Maine Infantry, 3rd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, Batteries F and G Independent Pennsylvania Artillery, and the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery.
The fort was likely named for General James B. Ricketts. But may also have been named for Captain R. Bruce Ricketts, later chief of artillery of the IX Corps.
— Submitted August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,776 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 13, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5, 6. submitted on August 30, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.