Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Center Line in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint Clement Catholic Parish

 
 
Saint Clement Catholic Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 1, 2017
1. Saint Clement Catholic Parish Marker
Inscription. Priests from Detroit served the Catholics of Kunrod's Corner, present-day Center Line, from 1852 to 1857. In 1854 Saint Clement Catholic Parish was founded, and a church was erected on land sold to the Diocese of Detroit by Hermann and Magthalina Cramer and Anthony Joseph Clemens. Belgian, French, German and Irish Catholics worshipped in the wooden church built on this site. The Reverend Henry H. Meuffels became the first resident pastor in 1857. In 1880-81 a spacious brick church was constructed to serve a growing parish. In 1892 the Sisters of Saint Dominic from Wisconsin reorganized the Saint Clement Elementary School and opened the high school in 1923. The present church was built in 1960-61. Saint Clement is Center Line's oldest religious institution.
 
Erected 1994 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1903.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 28.821′ N, 83° 1.62′ W. Marker is in Center Line, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is at the intersection of Van Dyke (State Highway 53) and Engelman Street, on the left when traveling south on Van Dyke. Touch for map. Marker
Saint Clement Catholic Parish Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 1, 2017
2. Saint Clement Catholic Parish Building and Marker
is at or near this postal address: 25295 Van Dyke, Center Line MI 48015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Clement Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arsenal Acres (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Behrns-Qualmann Farmhouse (approx. 1.2 miles away); Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant (was approx. 1.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The John Theisen House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Base Line Feed Store (approx. 2 miles away); Governor Alex J. Groesbeck (approx. 2.4 miles away); General Motors Technical Center (approx. 2.4 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement