Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Old Lubbock

 
 
Site of Old Lubbock Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
1. Site of Old Lubbock Marker
Inscription. A predecessor of present Lubbock, this area was, in 1890, a subject of heated dispute by three factions (led by W.D. Crump, W.E. Rayner, and Frank Wheelock) that vied in the founding of the county seat.

Unlike most county seat debaters in Texas, though, these men had no long-established towns to support. Their main interest was in organizing the county.

In the course of the rivalry, the groups founded two settlements. the Crump faction, later joined by the Wheelock group and several financial backers, started "Old Lubbock" at this site. Called "North Town" because it was located north of Yellow House Canyon, the site took in section 7, block A, bounded by the present streets of Quirt, Ash, Erskine, and Kent.

The site soon attained a population of about 50 and boasted a reported 37 buildings, including the most historic one in the county: the Nicolett Hotel.

Rayner's rival settlement south of the canyon was named "Monterey" and was popularly called "South Town".

Suprisingly, though, the factions did not reach the permanent hostility common to such disputes. On December 19, 1890, they united in a compromise unique in West Texas history; and as a result, the city of Lubbock was founded on the site where it now stands.
 
Erected 1968 by
Site of Old Lubbock Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
2. Site of Old Lubbock Marker
State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 12680.)
 
Location. 33° 37.926′ N, 101° 50.171′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is on Interstate 27 Frontage Road 0.8 miles south of East Regis Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lubbock TX 79403, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Lubbock Municipal Airport (approx. 1.7 miles away); South Plains Army Air Field (approx. 1.8 miles away); W. G. McMillan Construction Company (approx. 1.8 miles away); World War II Glider Pilots (approx. 1.8 miles away); Prairie Dog Town (approx. 2.3 miles away); Austin Brothers Bridge (approx. 2.5 miles away); Migrant Labor Camps of Lubbock County (approx. 2.5 miles away); Landwer/Manicapelli Home (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Site of Old Lubbock Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
3. Site of Old Lubbock Marker
View south on Interstate 27 frontage road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement