Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valley Springs in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Valley Spring

 
 
Valley Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 3, 2006
1. Valley Spring Marker
Inscription. The original three foot narrow gauge line was built by the San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada Railroad, extending from Brack’s Landing on the Mokelumne River, east to Valley Springs. The depot and turntable were built around the time of completion of the last section, which was finished in April 1885, at a total cost of $409,570. The line was changed to standard gauge by Southern Pacific around 1904. It was then extended 13 miles further east to Kentucky House to service the Calaveras Cement Company in 1925. Passenger service ended around 1932 but the line continued to serve as a freight line, until closure of the cement plant. The last rail shipment of cement was in 1983.
 
Erected 1993 by Matuca Chapter #1849, E Clampus Vitus (May 30, 1993).
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 11.474′ N, 120° 49.756′ W. Marker is in Valley Springs, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on State Highway 12, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the parking lot of the old train depot. Marker is in this post office area: Valley Springs CA 95252, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured
Valley Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 3, 2006
2. Valley Spring Marker
as the crow flies. Double Springs (approx. 2.3 miles away); Campo Seco (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Double Springs (approx. 4.9 miles away); Camanche (approx. 5.1 miles away); Paloma (Fosteria) (approx. 6 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); Jenny Lind (approx. 7 miles away); Chili Gulch (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valley Springs.
 
More about this marker. Valley Spring is a California Registered Landmark (No. 251).
 
Also see . . .
1. Bancroft Library Map of Route of the San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada Railroad. (Submitted on August 23, 2008.)
2. Wikipedia Account San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada Railroad. (Submitted on August 23, 2008.)
3. Valley Springs - Gateway to the Mother Lode. CalaverasHistory.org offers an article by Sal Manna which was originally published in Sierra Seasons Summer/Fall 2007 (Submitted on July 3, 2012.) 
 
Categories. LandmarksRailroads & Streetcars
 
Depot Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 3, 2006
3. Depot Building
Now a commercial building for a local business
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,154 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement