St. George’s, St George’s, Bermuda
First Government House
the First Government House
was on this site.
In 1700, Samuel Day, governor, erected
this building. For more than a century, it
was in possession of the Tucker Family.
During the American Civil War
it was occupied by the agent
of the Confederate States, and
later became the Globe Hotel.
Location. 32° 22.878′ N, 64° 40.639′ W. Marker is in St. George’s, St George’s. Marker is on York Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Midshipman Richard Sutherland Dale (within shouting distance of this marker); John Till (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Moore (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Settlement of Bermuda (about 120 meters away); The Broad Arrow (approx. 15.8 kilometers away in Dockyards); Victualling Yard (approx. 15.9 kilometers away in Dockyards); North Rock Beacon (approx. 16 kilometers away in Dockyards); The Great Western Storehouse (approx. 16.1 kilometers away in Dockyards). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. George’s.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 31, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.