1919 Booster Pump
A pump-house was constructed on this site in the fall of 1919 to house a large water pump driven by a 40HP electric motor. The pump was installed to boost the water pressure in the Town’s hydrants during times when water was required for fire fighting. It became operational in 1920 and nearly doubled the water pressure available to firefighters. The pump was in use throughout the 1920s during which time an artesian well was drilled at the site to augment the water supply to the system. In 1931 a second reservoir was constructed at Beech Hill and new water mains installed while in 1933 three overflow wells were drilled at the reservoir site all contributing to the correction of the long-standing supply and pressure problems with the Town’s water system. The Booster Pump was decommissioned in 1933 and the pump taken to the Fire Station and sold in 1939. Only the artesian well remains today housed in a small shed installed in 1987 by the Rotary Club and Town of Sackville.
Location. 45° 54.371′ N, 64° 22.41′ W. Marker is in Sackville, New Brunswick, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Main Street (New Brunswick Route 940) just south of Fawcett Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sackville, New Brunswick E4L 4B5, Canada.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . A Brief History of Sackville, New Brunswick. (Submitted on July 31, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 31, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.