Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. John's Presbyterian Church

 
 
St. John's Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 23, 2017
1. St. John's Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. On April 27, 1919, thirty-nine people met in the First Presbyterian Church on Woodward Avenue and organized St. John's Presbyterian Church. Reverend John W. Lee, a field missionary, led the formation of the church to serve Detroit's growing black population. St. John's was the first African-American Presbyterian congregation in Michigan. The first place of worship was located at Madison and Dubois streets. In 1936 churchwoman Anne Lewis led the establishment of the St. John's child care center. In 1940 the congregation moved to a church at Clinton and Joseph Campau streets. In the 1960s government-sponsored "urban renewal" projects forced the congregation to move to a new location. The first service in the present church was held on Christmas Day 1966.
 
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1781.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 20.391′ N, 83° 1.731′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Lafayette Street and St. Aubin Street, on the right when traveling west on East Lafayette Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Detroit MI 48207, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
St. John's Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 23, 2017
2. St. John's Presbyterian Church and Marker
View looking to the west along East Lafayette Street.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Michigan Colored Regiment (approx. 0.4 miles away); Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront History (approx. half a mile away); The Black Presence in Detroit (approx. half a mile away); Chapman Abraham / Jewish Soldiers in the Civil War (approx. half a mile away); St. Mary's Rectory (approx. 0.6 miles away); Peter Wetherill Stroh (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Mary's Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Elmwood Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. John's Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 23, 2017
3. St. John's Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement