Sault Ste. Marie in Algoma District, Ontario — Central Canada
The First Sault Ste. Marie Canal
Le Premier Canal de Sault Ste-Marie
The French explorers who first reached this favoured Ojibway hunting and fishing ground were soon followed by fur traders and missionaries who built a post and mission. By 1762 the region had come under British control and the trade eventually fell into the hands of the North West Company. Canoes and larger boats were towed through the rapids, sometimes by oxen, until 1797-8 when the Company built a canal with a wooden lock sufficiently large to admit a Montreal canoe. The lock was destroyed by American troops in 1814.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 46° 30.946′ N, 84° 20.916′ Touch for map. Marker is beside the remains of the first canal at the south end of Huron Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 75 Huron Street, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 5P4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Francis Hector Clergue (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The North West Company Post (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Sault Ste. Marie Ship Canal (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The "Chicora" Incident (approx. half a kilometer away); Anna Jameson (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Passenger and Packet Freighters on the Upper Great Lakes (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Dr. Roberta Bondar (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Nicolas Perrot (approx. 1.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sault Ste. Marie.
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.