Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fayette in Jefferson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Baptist Building

 
 
Baptist Building Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
1. Baptist Building Marker
Inscription.
As the twentieth century's second decade was drawing to a close, explosive growth in the churches and the work of the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board led to the 1919 purchase of the Harding Building on the corner of Capitol and North President Streets in downtown Jackson, for $25,000. It was renamed the Baptist Building and was quickly filled to capacity with the ministries of the convention. When the Mississippi Building located on the south side of the Mississippi Capitol Building on the corner of North Congress and Mississippi Streets, was put up for sale by the State in May 1945, a special called meeting of the board voted to pay $110,000 for the 14,250 square-foot building. The first Baptist Building on Capitol Street was vacated at the time and the boards departments moved into the second, more spacious Baptist Building. In less than 20 years, the work of the convention had outgrown the second Baptist Building and messengers to the 1965 Mississippi Baptist Convention authorized the construction of a "new Baptist Building." Land became available one block to the east, and the second Baptist Building was subsequently repurchased by the State. The present Baptist Building on the corner of North President and Mississippi Streets was dedicated on November 14, 1968 at a construction cost of $1,100,000. The four-story building
The Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display. image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. The Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
is still in use today as a home base of the 130 employees of the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board who dedicate themselves to serving the member churches of the convention.
 
Erected by Mississippi Baptist Historical Commission.
 
Location. 31° 39.401′ N, 91° 8.169′ W. Marker is in Fayette, Mississippi, in Jefferson County. Marker is on U.S. 61 one mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fayette MS 39069, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Baptist Record (here, next to this marker); Baptist Churches Constituted After Territory Acquired By U.S.A. (a few steps from this marker); Mississippi Baptist Health Systems, Inc. (a few steps from this marker); Beginning of the First Baptist Church in Mississippi (a few steps from this marker); Organization of Baptist Churches in Mississippi (a few steps from this marker); Richard Curtis, Jr. (a few steps from this marker); Conference Ministries (a few steps from this marker); Woodville Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayette.
 
More about this marker. Located in the Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside
The Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display. image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
3. The Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
As seen from U.S. 61 South
display.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 102 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2017.
Paid Advertisement