Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Neo-classical style house built 1916 for Warren A. and Myrta Hunt Bacon. Designed by W.M. Rice of Amarillo. Bacon, a successful businessman and civic leader, lived in Lubbock County from 1893 until his death in 1938. Mrs. Bacon was the daughter of south Plains pioneer George M. Hunt, who settled in Estacado in 1884. She lived in the house until her death in 1967 at age 89. The First Episcopal Diocese of Northwest Texas acquired the house in 1981.
1982 By the City of Lubbock, Urban Design and Historic Preservation Commission.
This two-story brick home was built in 1916 for Warren A. Bacon (1871-1938), a prominent Lubbock business and civic leader, and his wife Myrta (Hunt) (1878-1967), daughter of a pioneer area family. The Bacon residence was constructed from plans of W. M. Rice, a noted Amarillo architect, and was located in the Overton Addition, the first residential addition to the original townsite of Lubbock. It remained in the Bacon family for over 65 years.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 273.)
Location. 33° 35.086′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1802 West Broadway Street, Lubbock TX 79401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lubbock Women's Club (approx. ¼ mile away); First Methodist Church of Lubbock (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lubbock High School (approx. half a mile away); Mast/White Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Mast House (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Tribute to Cotton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Colonel T. S. Lubbock / Texas in the Civil War (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 129 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.