Speedway in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Alison Machine Shop
Entrepreneur James Allison helped establish Indianapolis Speedway Team Co., 1915, and later built a precision machine shop here near speedway to improve race cars. Upon U.S. entry in WWI, 1917, 500-mile race was suspended and he devoted shop resources to war effort, including making parts for Liberty aircraft engines. Shop name became Allison Engineering Co. by 1921.
General Motors purchased company, 1929, and focused work on aircraft engines. During WWII, Allison Division built 70,000 liquid-cooled V-1710 engines for fighter aircraft. Company grew to over 23,000 employees and received awards for excellence in production. By mid-1940s, it manufactured jet engines and transmissions, which later played a key role in Korean War.
Erected 2015 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Allison Transmission. (Marker Number 49.2015.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 47.003′ N, 86° 14.467′ W. Marker is in Speedway, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and W. 12th Street, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 N. Main St., Indianapolis IN 46224, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indianapolis Motor Speedway (approx. 0.6 miles away); Central State Hospital (approx. 2 miles away); Anthony Wayne (approx. 2½ miles away); Washington Park Baseball (approx. 3.4 miles away); Milestones in Nursing (approx. 3.4 miles away); McCormick Cabin Site (approx. 3.7 miles away); Site of Golden Hill Totem Pole (approx. 3.8 miles away); Bulgarian Orthodox Church (approx. 3.9 miles away).
Additional keywords. Auto Racing
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Sports • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 2, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.