Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Central State Hospital
People with mental illness were confined to jails and almshouses, often suffering neglect, before Dr. John Evans and local physicians advocated for their treatment; 1840s state laws established hospital here. In 1848, first patients admitted to Indiana Hospital for the Insane; treated for mental illness and addiction. Farm colony work and recreation used as therapy.
Since hospitalís opening, lack of funding and understaffing led to patient abuse and neglect; Superintendent Dr. Fletcher attempted to rectify this and burned patient restraints in a bonfire, 1883. Groundbreaking pathology lab opened 1896, served as state teaching hospital. Renamed Central State Hospital in 1927. Closed in 1994 with the goal of community-based care.
Erected 2016 by Installed Indiana Historical Bureau, the Indiana Medical History Museum, and Reverie Estates. (Marker Number 49.2016.3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 46.05′ N, 86° 12.639′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is on Steeples Blvd. ľ mile east of North Tibbs Avenue, on the left when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Steeples Blvd., Indianapolis IN 46222, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Anthony Wayne (approx. 0.6 miles away); Washington Park Baseball (approx. 1.5 miles away); Alison Machine Shop (approx. 2 miles away); Indianapolis Motor Speedway (approx. 2 miles away); McCormick Cabin Site (approx. 2 miles away); Milestones in Nursing (approx. 2 miles away); Civil War Training Camp (approx. 2.2 miles away); Romanian Orthodox Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 2, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.