Built in 1901 near South Kellogg Avenue by the Southern Pacific Railroad Co. and moved here Nov. 19, 1981 by Goleta Beautiful, the station was dedicated Nov. 19, 1983 by the Native Sons of the Golden West, Walter G. Perazzo Grand President with special recognition to the Depot Committee, Gary Coombs, Chairman, Phyllis J. Olsen, Raymond B. Baird, Eugene Allen, and George H. Adams.
Erected by Santa Barbara County. (Marker Number 22.)
Location. 34° 26.549′ N, 119° 51.158′ W. Marker is in Goleta, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker can be reached from North Los Carneros Road. Touch for map. Goleta Depot is located in Lake Los Carneros County Park and houses the South Coast Railroad Museum,. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Los Carneros Road, Goleta CA 93117, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Earle Ovington Terminal (approx. 1½ miles away); Hope House (approx. 4.7 miles away);
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a small boulder in front of the Railroad Museum Visitor Center.
Regarding Goleta Depot. Goleta Depot is a Southern Pacific Combination Station No. 22 (CS-22). Southern Pacific used standard plans to simplify the design and construction its depots. Most of these depots were wood-frame buildings in small towns and in the country. From about 1894 until the 1930s, Southern Pacific built at least ninety-one CS-22 depots in California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Oregon and Utah.
Eight CS-22 depots were built in Santa Barbara County. Except for Goleta Depot, all were razed by Southern Pacific. Most were gone by 1980.
Goleta Depot was
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 2, 2017, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.