Once the Amasa Killam property, granted in 1765, this site has contained a number of commercial stores including the Crane-Allison store. The intersection has long been called Crane's Corner. Other stores operating at this site were Smith & McKelvie, Lindsay & Vickery, George E. Ford and Dr. J.W. Sangster. A Post Office and Customs Office were located here for over 100 years.
In 1924 the Dominion Government Building was constructed which included a Post Office, Customs Office and Janitor's living quarters. The Unemployment Commission joined them in 1958.
In March of 1963 the Postal Department moved to the new federal building and the Town of Sackville took over the building. Since then the building has housed the town hall offices, council chambers, town library, court house and police station.
Location. 45° 53.876′ N, 64° 22.104′ W. Marker is in Sackville, New Brunswick, in Westmoreland County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New Brunswick Route 940) and Bridge Street/York Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Main Street, Sackville, New Brunswick E4L 1A1, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harold Geddes (within shouting distance of this marker);
Also see . . . Town Hall at Tantramar Historic Sites. (Submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.