Naughton in Sudbury District, Ontario — Central Canada
Salter's Meridian 1856
While laying out a meridian line (a north-south survey line) in 1856, provincial land surveyor Albert Salter observed severe compass needle deflections some five kilometres north of here. Alexander Murray, assistant provincial geologist, examined the area and reported "the presence of an immense mass of magnetic trap". Analysis of rock samples revealed nickel, copper and iron. This was the first indications of the Sudbury region's mineral wealth, but it aroused no interest at the time because the site was so remote. In 1886 prospector Henry Ranger rediscovered the deposit and in 1900 the Canadian Copper Company (later International Nickel) began working the claim. It became the Creighton Mine, one of the world's leading nickel producers.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 46° 24.252′ N, 81° 10.926′ W. Marker is in Naughton, Ontario, in Sudbury District. Marker is on Old Highway 17 (County Highway 55) 0.2 kilometers east of Simon Lake Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Whitefish Lake Post (here, next to this marker).
Regarding Salter's Meridian 1856. While surveying a meridian line north from Whitefish Lake in 1856, Albert Salter first noted the presence of mineral deposits in this remote region. In 1900, the Creighton Mine went into production at the site of Salter's original discovery and for the next 30 years was the world's leading nickel producer.(Source: Ontario Heritage Trust)
Categories. • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
More. Search the internet for Salter's Meridian 1856.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.