Near Kakabeka Falls in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
The Mountain Portage
This portage around Kakabeka Falls formed a link in the historic Kaministiquia canoe route connecting Lake Superior with Lake of the Woods and the West. First recorded in 1688 by the French explorer Jacques de Noyon, it was later abandoned in favour of the shorter Grand Portage-Pigeon River route. The latter came under American control following the treaty of 1783, and in 1798 the older route was rediscovered by Roderick McKenzie. From 1803 onward, the Mountain Portage was used by fur traders, explorers, soldiers, and surveyors including Simon McGillivray, David Thompson, Sir George Simpson, Sir John Richardson, Simon J. Dawson, and Col. Garnet Wolseley.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 48° 24.082′ N, 89° 37.498′ W. Marker is near Kakabeka Falls, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Touch for map. Marker is located within the boundaries of Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Kakabeka Falls, Ontario P0T 1W0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. The Kaministikwia Route (within shouting distance of this marker).
Categories. • Natural Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.